Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving!


Good morning,  Family Trails readers. Here are just a few little snippets to encourage you as you prepare for your own special Thanksgiving day. 

Above and below is a sweet card from long ago…. to inspire you for today's Thanksgiving!

 I do not recognize this name inside the card…


 Here is a card sent in 1940, postmarked from Louisville (no state needed on the envelope then, I guess!) It is addressed to Mr. and Mrs. C.S. Weaver, Talladega, Ala. (No street address needed!) From "Circle Four", First Baptist Church, W.M.S.
Look in the list of the ladies who signed the card… a Mrs. C. D. Weaver signed….any clues as to who this is? Aunt Era?
Update on  this: I wrote this last week, and since then I have gone over and over in my head about how Aunt Era's name got on a card from Louisville, Kentucky. here's what I think… I think the card is from "Circle Four" at the First Baptist Church in Talladega. Some of the other last names are familiar names to me through my mother's stories of girls she grew up with, Jenkins, Riddle, and Hall. Maybe Grandfather Weaver saved an envelope from Louisville and slid this card inside.

Surely Grandfather Weaver was receiving mail from Louisville at that time though. I need to check my dates, but his grandson, William Weaver, and his grandson-in -law, Louis Armstrong, studied to be ministers in Louisville.
Oh, the mysteries….



So is anyone looking for some holiday inspiration? How about this Weaver Family classic…
"The 1-2-3-4 Cake with Caramel Icing"




Lora Antoinette Weaver Ragsdale-"Tee"-wrote these recipe cards and gave them to me at my kitchen shower in 1981. Tee's Caramel Cake is definitely a great inspiration for all cooks planning a family gathering. 

Quote by Laura Ingalls Wilder

I am thankful to the readers of Family Trails this Thanksgiving. Our family story is special, and it is  an honor for me to write it. As our readers' numbers grow, I am touched that such a personal story speaks to those who are in other families. I guess the truth is …we all have a family, and we all have a story. I think when someone reads about our family, it helps them connect to their own families just a little bit tighter. If even one little blog post helps any of us in a small way to connect, to reach out, to remember others who may not have such a strong family on which to lean, then this little adventure is on a good path…

So if you are traveling this Thanksgiving or staying home…eating turkey and dressing or Chinese take-out, I wish all of you a very blessed and safe Thanksgiving holiday.

Quote by Charles Dickens

No comments:

Post a Comment