Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Thanksgiving Treasures


 Good afternoon, Family Trails! This week's Weaver Wednesday edition is a little late today! 
I hope you have all had a great week and that you have stayed warm during this Arctic blast. Those of us here in the sunny South have been taken by surprise… now where did I pack up those hats and gloves? I still have not found them! 
Oh, well, let's "talk turkey"! Or rather,  let's"talk Thanksgiving!" I cannot think about the turkey yet!

Let's get back to the scrapbooks of Grandfather Weaver. Tucked away among many articles that Grandfather Weaver saved are several publications about the pilgrims. This picture above is the front and back cover of a little booklet, "The Story of the Pilgrims." On the back cover can be seen the John Hancock Life Insurance Company logo.  Maybe one of our knowledgable kinfolk can tell us if he had a policy from this company. Anyway, the booklet is very informative about the Pilgrims and their hardships settling in The New World. 


On this page are listed the passengers who lived aboard The Mayflower. So interesting! Wow! Talk about Women's Rights! Check out how the wives were listed. 

There is more in this little booklet than most of us learned in school pertaining to the Pilgrims. After sailing from Southhampton, England on August 15, 1620, the Mayflower sailed for 99 days. After landing in Plymouth Harbor, most of the passengers did not even leave the little ship until 
January 2, 1621. 
As I mentioned above…. this is more news than I ever remember studying. Pilgrims have become charicatured so much over the past almost 400 years, that the true meaning of why they endured these hardships has all but gotten lost in the textbooks.  

This pamphlet, below, was also among the papers that C.S. Weaver saved. I have folded it out to show both sides of the paper. 
 

And here is a card that he saved from Plymouth Co-Operative Federal Savings,
44 Main Street, Plymouth Massachusetts. I am so thankful that my Great-Grandfather saved these mail-outs that he received. I do not know why he was on these mailing lists, but I am enjoying the mystery.

 I hope all of you have a very blessed week as you prepare to celebrate Thanksgiving. 
There are so many delicious recipes in our family cookbook, Seasoned With Love. I would love to hear from you about what you are cooking for your Thanksgiving! 
****Special Correction****
In last week's post, I made a mistake about how to order more family cookbooks. I meant to  type 
as the online source. Please note this correction. 




2 comments: