Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Let the Scanning begin!

Welcome back to the
  Family Trails
blog.  We begin the 3rd installment of what might be nick-named,
Weaver Wednesdays,
as the goal of your faithful family blogger is to have a new post for you each Wednesday morning when you turn on your computer.


Let's begin this morning with some very special portraits of Nancy Antoinette Haynes and Charles Sisson Weaver and their 10 children.



Such a precious picture taken outside by the porch of the 305 Oak Street home place! What a good-looking family! The costume designers from Downton Abbey must have consulted our Weaver archives for their inspiration.

But, my fellow Family Trails followers, how did these pictures get on our blog? 
Let me show you how this all got started. It was not a "trail" at all, but a journey through newspapers, photos, records, and all that I listed in the first blog post. Yes, I had accepted the challenge of preserving and organizing my great grandfather's scrapbooks, but I also have just as much of this type of…shall we call it "stuff" in my own stash that needed attention. So follow along as I show you some of the progress…..

Here is one of the many C.S. Weaver scrapbooks...

Sorting through my collection
Making notebooks to gather my thoughts on how all of this should be organized.


This is such a nice picture of 6 of the Weaver children: Kiser, Tenison, Lora, Nina, Lallie, and Ivera.
 First I tried a huge file tote. This was a good way to begin, but the  file tote was not up for this big job!

 File boxes are nice, especially when they are a "Get-To-It" gift from sister, Rebecca, to encourage me  in such an undertaking!              



Notebooks! Ahh! I think I have found a good way to work through the next stage: File first,  then slip each treasure into a plastic page protector, and snap into the appropriate family book. But, my goodness! This family needs about 4 or 5 of its own books. The C.S.Weaver scrapbook collection will fill at least 2 notebooks. 
There is also another good reason for why I am making these books: I do not think my children will accidentally throw them away, but a file folder……? Yes, easy to throw away! 
  

Recognize the familiar Weaver handwriting? I have lots of hand-written notes from each Weaver sister, and all 5 of them had a similar handwriting. This particular page is in my grandmother's hand.



 Work! Work! Work! Sure, it is taking time to do this. I just sort and file for an hour or so whenever I have a little free time. Like I said in an earlier blog, this is a work in progress.



 Here is a tip… when photographing a tombstone, don't stand between it and the sun!



Hooray! The scanner has arrived! This little thing is going to transform this entire process, and best of all, allows me to share what I find with you. So with a few lessons from my digital master, daughter Rebecca, we are on our way! 



 So, Weavers, stay tuned! Log on each Wednesday as we explore… EVERYTHING! There is so much! But here is a hint about next week's post…..

Isn't it almost hunting season?





1 comment: