Friday, January 23, 2015

Celebrating!

Alma Rebecca Weaver
age 18 months

Welcome back to Family Trails after quite an extended time since the last post. Flu season arrived in our home and reached out to our children and grandchildren and my mother in law! Four generations with the flu in a time span of 3 weeks! Whew! Fortunately, there was always someone well enough who could look after the others, and I am glad to report that I think it is all behind us. 

This week I thought we could remember our great-aunt, lovingly nicknamed "Auntie."

Alma Rebecca Weaver
 was born on January 2, 1904. Here are some cute pictures of Auntie through the years.



Auntie with Nancy Harper DeWine
Christmas 1954
i

Alma was the 8th child of Nancy Antoinette and Charles Sisson Weaver. She taught school for the Alabama Institute for the Deaf and Blind. She also moved to Philadelphia, PA to own and operate the Coulter Inn Hotel for some time. Having never married, she doted on all of her nieces and nephews and later on her great-nieces and great-nephews. She was a family favorite!
Two articles from C. S. Weaver's scrapbook





These 2 articles were glued next to each other in C. S. Weaver's scrapbook. The article on the left may be from the Talladega Daily Home or from a publication from the School for the Deaf and Blind. Here is the mystery, though… the article states that" she will still be nearby." Maybe Auntie also taught school for the deaf and the blind in Philadelphia. I do remember learning that she heard Helen Keller speak in Philadelphia, so maybe she was employed as a teacher there also.
 The article on the right is typed so small, that it is hard to read. The date is March 23, 1944 and looks to be a notification of purchase of the Coulter Inn Hotel. The last sentence reads, "The name and address of the person owning or interested in said business is Alma R. Weaver, 3400 Germantown Avenue, Philadelphia, Pa."


Auntie at the Talladega Country Club


Oak Hill Cemetery, Talladega, Alabama 

********************************************************
Now about those family recipes…. a few blog posts ago, I said that I would share some favorites from our family cookbook, Seasoned With Love by Lucretia Malone Mount Davenport.  I did remember to take one or two pictures to share with you. I wish I had taken more pictures… 

Among the many dishes from the cookbook enjoyed in our home and made by many different family members over the holidays were: sweet potatoes, green bean casserole,  beef tenderloin, cheese grits, pineapple casserole, cranberry relish, the Weaver Christmas salad, cheese straws, dill oyster crackers, and pound cake. Are you hungry yet?
I recently made "Beatrice's Cubed Steaks" on page 95. This is the epitome of comfort food! I was fortunate to have watched Beatrice make this for lunch one day. She was an excellent cook and never hesitated to pass on any of her cooking tips to a beginner in the kitchen. 

One of my favorite pound cake recipes is Lassie Weaver Malone's Sour Cream Pound Cake found on page 179 of the first edition. Sister Rebecca loves to make the Faye's Pound Cake on page 178. It is a favorite of mine also, but I was hooked when I first baked the cake with the sour cream!   Here is a picture of it. I make it for many occasions and EVERY SINGLE TIME  someone asks me for the recipe! 


Now before we end our visit this week on our Family Trails, I need to make a huge correction to the last post. I do not know how or why I made this mistake, but I typed my parents' wedding date incorrectly! They were married on June 30, 1954.

I hope you all have a good week. Here in the South, we are having very typical January weather. It has been bitter cold for a few weeks, then this week it has felt like Spring! The daffodil bulbs are popping through the ground and the forsythia is about to bloom! I darted to the local nursery and bought violas! Ready to dig in the dirt!  Then suddenly today, we are back into the Winter grey days… the days that don't see the sun all day! These are the days that call us to stay inside and read a good book!  So while I wait for the next sunny day to be outside, I will dig through interesting Weaver lore for next week's Weaver Wednesday's edition of Family Trails. Lots of love to you!

Mariellan

1 comment:

  1. Hi ! Mariellan here with updates and corrections. I heard from Lucretia who could fill in some of the gaps on Alma-"Auntie's" early years. Auntie studied and taught students who were deaf in North Carolina, but we know she was in Philadelphia by 1939. In that year, Auntie invited Lucretia to visit her and to go to the World's Fair in New York.

    ReplyDelete