Wednesday, March 16, 2016

"Grandmother Weaver" Loved to Crochet


Dear Family Trails readers,
My great-grandmother, Nancy Antoinette Haynes Weaver, loved to crochet. I cannot imagine how she had time to crochet while she raised 10 children. Her last child was born in 1909. In reading about the history of crochet, I have learned that using white or natural colored threads became popular in the early 1900's. The crochet pieces that I have seen of "Grandmother Weaver's" are all in this type of thread, so that gives me a clue into when she might have begun crocheting as a hobby.  


These pictures are 2 examples of her small projects…doilies for chairs, I imagine.
The one above is damaged and stained. Some of the threads are broken. I want to have them repaired…or restored. (There is a difference in this, and I need to learn more about both processes.)

Photo courtesy of Rebecca Wise Photography

These pictures show a bed spread that Nancy Antoinette Haynes Weaver crocheted. This spread is very intricate, much more so than the doilies. There is a 6-point star-or flower-pattern repeated to complete a spread to cover a full-size bed. Each star point, or petal, has 6 crocheted knots that are made from several stitches to create a raised knot or "bubble." As in most needlework, the more intricate the stitch, the more time-consuming it becomes. This spread must have taken many, many hours for her to crochet, and if I have my family lore correct, this is only one of many that she made for family members.

Photo courtesy of Rebecca Wise Photography

A very damaged photo of "Grandmother and Grandfather Weaver" with their first 3 children. 
I hope you enjoy seeing these crochet pieces. If you have been on the Family Trails with me for awhile, you know that my list of family history projects is getting longer. The organization, restorations (see photo above for proof !) and the documentation …it can be overwhelming. But I keep reminding myself,
 "One day at a time….."
Love,
Mariellan

No comments:

Post a Comment