Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Touring 305 Oak Street…Again!

 I found more pictures taken inside the Weaver family home place at 305 Oak Street, Talladega, Alabama. To see the first tour , click
"       Let's Start at the Very Beginning…" to see the parlor.) The white "box" to the right of the fireplace is an electrical panel.
 This mantle in the above photo is in the room that my grandmother, Ivera, used as her dining room. This is the wall that had a door to the right of the fireplace to enter the parlor. In the renovation of the house by the AIDB, the door was removed and a wall was inserted. (See past post for details on this.)
 I wish I could remember which room I took this picture in. Isn't the fire screen beautiful!



 Now we are back downstairs…again…this time in the bathroom! I included this picture to show how well the bathrooms were improved. This one on the first floor is handicap-accesible…note the flat walk-in shower!
 And this is the first floor bedroom, also called Grandfather's bedroom, but my family called it our Grandmother's room. The door is open into the foyer.
 Here is a picture of my mother walking up the stairwell. The landing on this stairwell is very special to the Harper-DeWine family. My grandparents, Ella Ivera Weaver and Walter Lee Harper were married on this landing, on June 19, 1924!
OOPS! I just found a note in my mother's handwriting that says that Ivera and Walter were married in the parlor! I'll do some searching on this fact and get back to Family Trails with this detail!



We do not have a wedding picture of our grandparents, but I am fond of this photo. A very sweet picture of very proud, (and I can imagine, misty-eyed parents) as the three of them await Nancy's orders from the U.S. Army to fly to France to meet her newlywed husband!



 These pictures are hanging in the stairwell. They are photographs depicting two of the various opportunities provided by the Industries for the Blind. I still have some of their brooms.


 Upstairs again! This is a very interesting picture showing how a kitchenette was added into the upstairs suite.

 More quilts!


 Spectacular light fixtures! Original to the house!

 More stairwell details





 How many little faces must have peered through these circles carved into the front porch!
















If you are a regular Family Trails reader or just joining us on this journey, are you thinking by now, "How can there be enough topics to make this blog interesting?"  So I will leave you with a little hint of what is to come….
Food! Food! Food!
Family,
 Holidays, and
 Love of Country!

Our family is filled with all of the above!

No comments:

Post a Comment