Wednesday, March 4, 2015

March



As we do each month on our Family Trails, we recognize and remember the children of Nettie and Sisson Weaver. This month we remember two of the Weaver children. 
The first is  Ella Ivera Weaver Harper, nicknamed "Bo." Bo is my maternal grandmother. She was born in 1896 and died in 1994, one month before her 98th birthday. Good health and a long life were traits of the Weaver children. 
I love this little picture of my grandmother. Each of these children had a photograph made when they were about 4 or 5 years old. The pictures have a painted look to each of them. I have had this little  picture of my grandmother most of my life, probably because I am named for her, and I have always been intrigued by it. There is something odd about it though…. I have stared at it many times without determining what it could be. Finally, I think I have solved the mystery. Are her shoes on the wrong feet? Or did the photographer paint the shoes incorrectly? I guess I will never know, and it really doesn't matter…I just love the picture. 



And who wouldn't love to claim this lady as their grandmother! 
What great photos and such sassy poses! 


I know I have used this picture before, but I just love it! 
Standing: Ivera "Bo" and Tennison "Rat"
Sitting: Lora "Tee", Lassie "Lallie", and Kiser

The other March birthday we have to celebrate is Issac Tenison Weaver, famously known as "Uncle Rat." If you have followed our family blog from the first post, The Scrapbook you may remember that we mentioned having an "Uncle Rat," and here is the best part… his wife was called "Aunt Kat!" 
Uncle Rat was the last of the 10 children of Nettie and Sisson. I wrote in a previous blog post about the melodic names that each child was given. There is a family legend about Uncle Rat's name. By the time the tenth child arrived, Grandfather Weaver had run out of names, so he named his tenth child-a son-"Tenison!" It has since become a favorite name in our large, extended family. 
Here is a great picture of Issac Tenison, as a cheerleader at Talladega High School. I found it in some things of Uncle Rat's that were in the box with Grandfather Weaver's scrapbooks. What a great picture! 
Uncle Rat
1909-2001

Here is a picture of Kiser, Dewey, and Tenison Weaver from the Talladega Daily Home. I do not have a date with this picture. I imagine this picture was used in an article about the Weaver brothers and their long-standing businesses on the square in town. 


The Weaver family is a very fortunate family. We have a treasure-trove of family memories. These family stories and pictures are more valuable than any amount of riches or fame. These are the stories that remind us of who we are and where we came from. They offer comfort, laughter, and courage. Looking back and remembering gives us these gifts so that we can then look forward with optimism and and a strong sense of who we are. 
Love, 
Mariellan
Please come back next "Weaver Wednesday" for more Family Trails.

No comments:

Post a Comment